Roundtable in Forensic Linguistics 2014
The Germanic Society of Forensic Linguistics (GSFL) is pleased to announce the first call for papers for the Second Annual Roundtable in Forensic Linguistics.
September 5th ‐ 7th in Mainz, Germany
The purpose of the GSFL Roundtable is to provide researchers, teachers, and practitioners working within all sub-areas of forensic linguistics the opportunity to present and discuss their work within an interdisciplinary setting. You can find the .pdf version here.
Towards that end, paper abstracts are invited in any of the following divisions:
- Speaker identification and voice comparison
- Authorship identification, verification, and attribution
- Detecting plagiarism
- Computational methods of linguistic profiling
- Corpus analysis of forensic texts (e.g. confessions, courtroom transcripts, police protocols, suicide letters, threatening letters)
- The language of (violent) offenders and/or victims
Forensic Linguistics, the Law, and the Legal Process
- Translating and Interpreting the law
- Courtroom interpreting and translating
- Multilingualism and the legal system
- Language minorities and the law
- Legal discourse and legal texts
- Language testing, citizenship, and asylum
- Investigative interviewing and/or interrogative practices
- Legal policies on presenting expert witness testimony and evidence
Forensic Linguistics and Education
- Developing FL programs and curricula
- FL instructional materials (textbooks, audiovisual aids, corpora, etc.)
- Developing ties with universities and professional organizations
- Interdisciplinary challenges and promises
- The future of FL education inside and outside of Europe
To encourage continuing interest in the Forensic Linguistics, students are also warmly encouraged to present their work for a special student forum. During this session, undergraduate and graduate students will have an opportunity to present their work and receive constructive feedback from peers and scholars in the field.
For more details on the submission procedure, please read our call for papers. The submission deadline is June 15, 2014.
Prices for the Roundtable are:
1 day - 2 days - 3 days
Student: 55€ - 100€ - 150€
Normal: 70€ - 130€ - 190€
The fees each include conference materials, coffee breaks and lunch.
Fees are payable by bank transfer. After registration we will contact you with an invoice.
The venue for the Roundtable in 2014 is the same as in 2013. We will be meeting in the InterCity Hotel in Mainz, Germany.